Sunday, December 19, 2004

 

The biggest Countdown Ever?

The radio station I listen to over here - Triple M - are having "The essential 2005 Countdown". A little extreme don't you think?

They've been gathering votes for about a week now - and the countdown will run from Boxing Day to Australia Day (26th January). They're saying that it's "something that has never been done before" - but I slightly doubt that. I'm sure somewhere - probably India - a countdown has been a little bigger than 2000 songs.

One thing that I've noticed about Lists and Countdowns that are voted on by the public is that they tend to contain more of the newer material, and forget some of the better old stuff. For example - when MTV ran a "25 Greatest Video Stars of All Time" that was voted by the fans, Michael Jackson (arguably the best creator of music videos along with Madonna) polled poorly (9th off memory) - I think No Doubt even beat him. I guess the songs that are released lately will be on everyone's mind already.

The station has even played nothing but older songs for the last week - and have been playing interviews of people voting for their favourites - which all happen to be released in the 80s to early 90s.

So now I'm all nervous about my vote. I feel like John Cusack in High Fidelity when he had to pick his top 5 favourite albums of all time. I don't want to rush my decision - because I know I'm going to leave out some songs that should be in the list. Here's a quick draft off the top of my head (alphabetically from the CDs in front of me):

Ben Folds Five - Brick
Black Eyed Peas - Where Is The Love?
Blink 182 - I Miss You
Blur - Girls and Boys
Bomb Funk MC - Freestyler
Bon Jovi - Bad Medicine
Butthole Surfers - Pepper
Cake - The Distance
Daft Punk - One More Time
Eskimo Joe - From The Sea
Everclear - Santa Monica
Fatboy Slim - Praise You
Fatboy Slim - Weapon of Choice (mainly for the film clip!)
Foo Fighters - Learn To Fly
Foo Fighters - Monkey Wrench
Grinspoon - Chemical Heart
Guns N' Roses - Welcome to the Jungle
Guns N' Roses - Paradise City
Junior Senior - Move You Feet
Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
Metallica - One
Metallica - Until it Sleeps
Moby - Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad?
Moby - Run On
No Doubt - Just a Girl
Outkast - Ms. Jackson
Outkast - Hey Ya!
Pearl Jam - Even Flow
Pearl Jam - Alive
Radiohead - Karma Police
Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name
Regurgitator - Everyday Formula
The Offspring - Come out and Play
The Offspring - Gone Away
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Breaking the Girl
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Californication
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Under the Bridge
U2 - Vertigo

(I know there's probably heaps I'm missing - but these are all that came to mind. Any suggestions?)

Comments:
here would be some of my picks:

michael jackson - thriller
madonna - like a virgin
u2 - one
marvin gaye - what's going on
beatles - a day in the life
bob marley - one love
john lennon - imagine
nirvana - smells like teen spirit
rolling stones - sympathy for the devil
james brown - i got you (i feel good)
the clash - london calling
run dmc & aerosmith - walk this way

 

Michael Jackson, Madonna & The Beatles - totally agree with you. I left them out because I don't actually have any of their albums - and couldn't be bothered researching which were my favourite songs.

Walk this Way is a great one - well remembered. That'd definately be in my list. I don't know about some of the older stuff - I only really got interested in music after I finished high school.

Some others I thought of:

Crash Test Dummies - Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm
Green Day - Boulevard of Broken Dreams

Geez - I thought I had more than two more. Oh well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?