Thursday, December 30, 2004

 

Saw

My girlfriend and I went to see Saw on the weekend - and I was quite impressed. The writers are two Melbourne boys - James Wan, also the Director and Leigh Whannell who also plays the part of Adam. Apparently they wrote the film so that James would have something to direct, and Leigh would have something to act in. I must say though - I wasn't entirely convinced by Leigh's acting abilities towards the beginning of the film.

I'm don't really enjoy scary movies just for the sake of being scary - but psychological thrillers that make me think are very enjoyable. Saw tells the story of two people trapped in a bathroom by a serial killer known as "Jigsaw". I won't give away any of the story - but the ending "twist" is one of the best, and least expected, that I've seen for a quite a while.

I found the fact that the story is being told from the potential victims perspective rather than a detective is refreshing, and makes you wonder what you would do in a similar situation. The story also tells of some of the Jigsaw's previous victims, which were all very interesting, and could have done with more emphasis.

The film ended extremely well in my opinion - which is why I'm a little worried about the sequel they've planned - Saw: Hacksaw. Apparently James and Leigh will still be involved - so I hope it does well.

Overall - I'd give it 4 stars out of 5.

Comments:
didn't you find that cary elwes was overacting a lot?

 

I actually thought Leigh Whannell overacted a bit too much at the start. Now you mention it, Cary Elwes did go over the top a bit towards the middle of the film - but I guess I was too interested by the story line at that point to care!

 

have you ever seen 'Seven'? it's one of my favourite movies.

 

Yeah - I was actually going to make mention of that movie in my discussion of Saw. I still haven't got Seven on DVD though - so I've only seen it a few times.

I shall be buying it soon I'm sure!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?