Thursday, December 09, 2004

 

Team America: World Police

I saw my first movie in about 6 months last night - Team America: World Police. Created by Trey Parker and Matt Stone of South Park fame, this movie is essentially The Thunderbirds meets The Sum of All Fears, with all of the humor of a South Park episode.

I had heard a little bit about the movie beforehand, but most of it had been negative so I wasn't expecting too much. I really only went along to see some friends from High School. I must say though, I was pleasantly surprised with what I saw - I couldn't stop laughing. Anyone who feels that South Park is a little too rude probably won't like this movie - but I find that adding ridiculously over the top vulgarities can assist spoof movies such as this. An example is the film's romantic scene - probably the funniest sex scene I've ever witnessed. Apparently they kept adding to this scene until the movie reached the R rating they were hoping for.

While the main plot of the film appears to be taking a dig at George Dub-ya's War on Terror, the rest of the film's political messages appear balanced. Just as they do in South Park, Parker and Stone manage to make fun of both sides of the argument - and ensure everyone looks like a dick. The plot is similar to a lot of action movies (the world is in trouble, a team try to save it) - but the main draw is the laughs.

Another pleasant surprise from the movie was the musical numbers. As they did with South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut, the movie was littered with songs - and I didn't mind listening to them. Normally I hate movies where the main characters sing (especially Bollywood films) - but when they're actually singing something that I find amusing it's fine.

While I probably won't buy this on DVD (it's value to me was better as a shock film - probably won't work as well in subsequent views) - I'd give it a 4 out of 5.

Team America: World Police movie poster

Comments:
the south park movie was definitely better but this one did have a few moments. just thinking about the 'america song' makes me laugh.

 

Just thinking about the America song ... makes me think about the America song. I think I had that song stuck in my head for around 2 days of so - and now it's back in there!

Still - it was a very funny song. I also liked the Montage song - I think I might actually make my second soundtrack album purchase with this one. The first was the soundtrack to "Twins"!

 

Ha! Sorry about that. 'Twins' was a good movie, Arnold should do less politics and more comedy. Maybe a sequel to 'Kindergarten Cop'? :)

 

"Primary School Cop"? ;)

Personally I'd like to see "Adult Learning Centre Cop" - where Arnie has to teach 60 year-old people how to read, while killing some terrorists.

Actually - maybe I wouldn't!

 

I would.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?