Saturday, January 15, 2005

 

Deck Dogz

As it way my birthday today (the 24th of such occasions), my girlfriend took me to see Deck Dogz. The story revolves around 3 teenage "Deck Dogz" (skateboarders) trying to get to a skate tournament that will be hosted by Tony Hawk. The kids hope that by showing Tony a Nose-slide underflip to darkslide, they'll be sponsered and taken from their crummy neighbourhood. Getting to the competition is quite a trial with parents, the police and drug pushers trying to stop them.

I had never actually seen a preview for this film - but I had heard there was an Aussie skate film with Tony Hawk appearing, so I thought I'd give it a go. It turns out the film is really just a kids skating movie (al biet with drug and sexual references), and I found myself waiting for the "drama" to finish and the skating to begin. Even if I had have known it was a kids movie, I probably still would have gone (as I love watching great skateboarding - from Tony Hawk, or preferably Rodney Mullen).

The acting was quite poor, the plot a little too far fetched to go along with, and the cutaway visuals of the boy's thoughts were a little too distracting. There were a few laughs to be had though, and I'm happy they knew how to display skating footage, because it was the movie's saving grace.

All in all - I'd say 2 out of 5.

Comments:
happy birthday pal! never heard of 'deck dogz' before but for a really good skateboarding movie you might want to check out 'Dogtown and Z-Boys'.

hope you have a good one!

 

Thanks mate, I had a rather enjoyable birthday this year.

More so because I just ordered a DVD of Dogtown and Z-Boys from Amazon about 20 minutes ago ;) It looks pretty cool - directed by Stacy Peralta and all - I don't know why I hadn't heard of it before. Thanks!

 

no worries pal. glad to hear you had a good time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?