Saturday, January 29, 2005

 

A Good (?) Idea

When trying to cut an image from paint I was squinting my eyes to see where my hairline cursor was sitting. I've used Hypersnap-DX to take screen captures for a while now - and it includes an integrated zoom window.

While doing my cut from paint, I was thinking that it'd be good to have the same kind of zoom window available with a keyboard shortcut. I know that Microsoft has their Magnifier (press Win-U), but it only provides a small window on the top of the current monitor. I'd like a way to zoom with my secondary monitor (I'm on a dual monitor setup) when I press a keyboard shortcut.

I was thinking that this might be something I have to make myself, until I remembered a product called UltraMon that provides these kinds of utilities. I had a quick look at their site and couldn't find it. Then I remembered the reason that I never bought UltraMon - my videocard came with software that provided all of UltraMon's functionality.

Sure enough - after a quick look through the nView Desktop software I found exactly what I was looking for. Now, when I press Ctrl-F12 the secondary monitor changes to a 10x Zoom window. The window also swaps monitors when my mouse does. See snapshop below (the right half is the zoomed window, and my mouse is somewhere in the top left of the first monitor. And yes, I'm currently listening to Live - I absolutely love "We Deal in Dreams").

I love finding things that I didn't know I had!

Zoomed Screenshot

Comments:
sweet, good job!

man, i just got windows media center 2005 and it is awesome! i've been recording programs non-stop!

 

I'm looking into buying one of those Mac Mini's. It'd probably only be a glorified MP3 & Video player for me - but it'd look damn sexy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?