Tuesday, January 04, 2005

 

Software I use

In case anyone's interested - here's a list of the Software / Utilities I use for my various home projects:

Firefox - My favourite browser.

Opera - I use this browser (along with IE) to test my websites. It would probably be my browser of choice if it wasn't for Firefox.

Total Commander - A split screen file manager for Windows. Having two directories side-by-side to easily copy / move makes a lot of sense when you start using it.

IrfanView - A very easy-to-use and powerful Image viewer / editor. Converting files is a breeze.

UltraEdit - I was using TextPad for my MDI (Multi Document Interface) needs for a while - but it got too annoying. We use UltraEdit at work, and it worked well in most instances, so I purchased it for home.

GetRight - The download manager I currently use - though I don't use it that frequently (dial-up).

Quintessential Player - I bought MusicMatch Jukebox ages ago - until they required extra money to upgrade (I hate that), so I switched to QCD. Works very well in my experience - and it's freeware!

Comments:
firefox is great! it's the only browser i use now. haven't tried quintessential player. i use itunes a lot as i have an ipod.

 

THat's fair. Quintessential Player isn't really as good as Music Match, but it's open source which is all good. All I really need is to be able to rip my CDs to my PC for when I'm working.

I bought a Mini Disc player a few years ago - when I really wish I hadn't. If I had have waited about a year - I could have gotten one of the many MP3 players - which would be much easier than "recording" to Mini Disc.

Oh well.

 

i bought a sony minidisc player last year. it was pretty good but the headphone jack kept breaking on me and i had to send it back to be repaired several times. having to convert tracks to atrac was a hassle too. an ipod, i'm biased i know, really is effortless to use.

 

Had I not bought my MiniDisc player - I'd have an iPod by now as well. I guess I can't justify buying a new device until my current one breaks.

I broke the remote control thing for mine about a month after I bought it. Boy was I pissed off! They cost about $200 to replace as well - so I might have to have an "accident" with it sometime soon.

 

Just found out something about Firefox in my last comment. When you press "Ctrl" + 2 - Firefox goes to the second tab you have open - cool!

I also have the Tabbrowser Preferences extension installed though - so it might be a function of that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?