Thursday, August 11, 2005

 

Got me some web space

I've delayed paying for web hosting (for my personal projects) for two reasons. The first was due to economics - why pay money to have them hosted on the Internet when I can host them on my own server at home for free. The second was because of a lack of creativity - I just can't think of a really good domain name*.

Well, my girlfriend just got free hosting for 6 months on a MySQL / PHP site, and I didn't even have to think of a domain name (it's just http://www.comcen.com.au/~joeldixon). The only thing up there at the moment is my Travel Plans - but I'm planning to add more sites as time permits. I can also use it to develop / test PHP sites from work, when I get a spare few hours.

* I want a domain name that is generic enough to suit all of my projects (inline hockey stats site, random ramblings, Ladybug testing etc), but is catchy / witty / funny. One good one I've seen is endintiers.com owned by a .NET developer that I had for ".NET Essentials". He's apparently quite interested in .NET tiers - although they can become quite messy (hence, this will "end in tears"). I know I'll never think of something that's available - and I'm happy with.

Comments:
I have a lot of trouble coming up with names also. Hardest part of making a website, as far as I'm concerned. Just go with joeldixon.com... or callmechain.com. Haha!

(And hooray for me, I made the list of "blogs worth a viewing"!)

 

Ha ha - call me Chain... Mum had finally forgotten about that one - but you just have to hold on, don't you!

And yes, expect hordes of viewers from my endorsement ;)

 

Go with:

www.icantthinkofagooddomainname
thatisbothpracticalandwittysoill
gowiththisinstead.com

 

Nice idea there Gav. It's no amputeesex.com - but it'll have to do ;)

 

Interesting... as far as I'm aware, RFC 920 says nothing about the maximum length of a domain name, so it should be 256 characters... but if you attempt to register www.icantthinkofagooddomainnamethatisbothpracticalandwittysoillgowiththisinstead.com
none of the registrar websites will allow a domain that long.

Although you could just register www.instead.com and make a whole bunch of subdomains so its www.i.cant.think.of.a.good.domain.name.that.is.both.practical.and.witty.so.ill.go.with.this.instead.com

 

There's no RFC about it - but 67 characters is the most current Registries allow you to register (including the .com) - which this guy seems quite happy about.

The longest single word domain name is train station (in Welsh of course) - link.

http://www.domainenvy.com ?

 

Hey Joel

I am the proud owner of a site now as well - thanks to Brad's help. Check it out (it will be good when you are overseas and instead of going out and seeing the sites you can sit in your hotel room and keep up with what's been going on in my life)!!

Have a goody

 

Finally, I was worried that I wouldn't get enough Gavin news when I was overseas - but I see my concerns were unfounded ;)

Tell Brad to make you a RSS feed - that was I can find out the instant you post!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?