Monday, September 12, 2005

 

I think I'm ready to buy an iPod

iPod Nano

I was considering taking my MiniDisc player with me to America for the flight there and back - and the US interstate trips. I wasn't too happy with the idea though, as it's battery life is too short and I don't have any of my later music on the discs. You can't directly copy MP3s to my model of MiniDisc player (I bought it one version too early), so I'd need to play each of them on the PC and record on the MiniDisc. Otherwise I'd need to play them on my PS2, and copy them from the digital output (better quality, but will need to go through each CD).

The Nano's 4 GB model (black) should be fine for me, as I've only got around 3.5 GB of music - and 500 Meg of that is comedy (Jerky Boys etc). The 14 hour charge is good for the flights as well - as I'll be on the plane for about that long when going between Melbourne and LA.

I think I've never wanted to buy an iPod because I didn't want to admit that the MiniDisc was a poor purchase decision - but this Nano is sweet. And you can't say I'm rushing into buying an Apple music device!

Comments:
yeah the nano does look sweet. i'm seriously considering buying one. right now i have a 4g 20gb ipod. it's pretty good but the battery is pretty much shot and it's only been a year! it's advertised as having an initial 12 hour battery life and now i'd say it's lucky to get maybe 4 on a full charge. oh well, maybe i'll just buy a replacement battery until i can shore up some funds for a nano.

 

Geez, down to 4 hours after a year is quite underwhelming. What do you think of their software etc? Do you use iTunes on your computer?

Another good point of the Nano for me - apparantly it has a "multiple time zone clock" - which will come in handy. I've currently got my dual-zone watch set on Melbourne and Pittsburgh time - in readyness for the new hockey season!

 

iTunes is easily the best media player software out there. it's very simple, intuitive and pretty slick looking too. oh and the music store generally, depending on where you live, has a wide selection of tracks by most of the big name artists. the only negative thing is it can be tricky transferring tracks back from an iPod to a computer. however there's tons of free software on the net that can do this for you.

http://www.ilounge.com/

has a bunch.

nm

oh i also have a new blog sort of up and running. check it out sometime if you're not busy.

 

Thanks for the info Nat - so long as I can convince myself that an iPod is a necessary travel expense - I'll be getting one quick-smart ;)

Oh - and very good to see you've got a blog again, the Interweb hasn't been the same without you!

 

thanks pal. it's good to be back!

 

Following the special edition U2 iPod, hold onto your pennies and stay tuned for the next sensational offering from Apple; The HoffPod.

 

Ha ha - nice one Diet.

I expect a photo-shopped example soon (if it's not already doing the email rounds!)

 

Well there's this:

http://shakykaiser.com/blog/images/ihoff400400.jpg

Not quite an actual HoffPod, but good enough.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?