Sunday, October 30, 2005

 

My (not so) new domain name

It's taken me about 6 or so years, but I've finally secured my name's domain - www.joeldixon.com.

My search for this domain began in my first year of university. Although I had heard of the Internet in high school - I had never actually been "online" until I started at Swinburne. We discovered the Internet and related protocols (pr0n) in the Computer Systems subject - which is when I also first learned about domain names. Even though I don't really like my name, the first domain name I searched for was joeldixon.com - but alas, I was too late.

After pointing my trusty browser to the address I was presented with some guy's (probably Joel Dixon's) odd website. I think he was trying to get volunteers for a social experiment (details are hazy, it was a while ago). Regardless, I thought it was a complete waste of the domain.

I was somewhat upset that my domain name of choice was taken, and figured I'd check it again in a few years (I didn't know how to lookup the expiry date back then - or even whois information).

The next time I checked was during my first year of employment - but I was too late again. This time Republican Joel Dixon had registered the domain name in hope of securing a place on the Clayton County's Board of Education, District 6. See here for a historical view of his site.

By this time I knew how to check domain name expiry dates, and I saw that the name would expire towards the end of 2005. I was reminded of all of this about a month ago when my brother registered his own domain name - and here I stand.

I haven't really made any good use of my site yet - I've drawn a favicon that sucks:

Penguin Icon

but the most useful thing I've done so far is create a hockey scores page so I can view the latest Penguin's loss from my mobile (very useful in meetings):

Hockey Site in 6230 emulator

Comments:
some advice in owning your own domain name: if you are planning a murderous spree, try not to post the details on your site!!

The favicon things are pretty cool - i am going to try one myself, but probably from an existing picture. If I drew one it would make your gay penguin look like it was done by Picasso

 

Where do you pull the hockey results from?

 

My murderous sprees are generally mundane - hardly worth commenting about in favour of the exciting world of favicons!

And that penguin is clearly hetrosexual. That one incident was misunderstood - he was cleaning his collection of billard balls, in the shower ...

The hockey results are taken from the Yahoo! site. Lots of strpos are used to generate the summary - much hackness. Thing is - I think I'm only allowed to request a specific number of views each day, then it starts failing on me. If that number turns out to be too small - I'll have to build in some redundancy (read the ESPN site as well!)

 

Interesting... I would like to have a look at that page at some stage. So you have to load that entire Yahoo page before you can grab the 30 bytes or so you actually need?

 

Cool - you can view the page here: http://www.joeldixon.com/hockeyscores. Although it pulls back Pittsburgh and Colorado details by default - you may want it to just get Buffalo scores - http://www.joeldixon.com/hockeyscores?teamlist=Buffalo. I'll send you the source code if you'd like (it's not very nice at all!).

But yeah - I have to load the whole Yahoo scoreboard page first - to check if my team's playing (and what the current score is etc). Then I load the boxscore page that the scoreboard points to, to determine the goal scorers etc. I hunted around for something that I could call to just get the feed of the stats - like STATS - but they were a bit too expensive for my liking!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?