Saturday, April 29, 2006

 

Happy Happy Feijoa Joy!



I like guava! I like the taste, I like the colour, and I like the texture. My love of guava started late when I was about 10 years old - primarily because of Mildura's Apple and Guava juice (which I found out many years later, is not juice - but a "fruit drink" full of sugar). Whenever I find a nice looking guava related product I'm always happied - and still buy some of the old "fruit drink" from time to time.

Belinda's favourite fruit is pineapple - which I can't say I particularity endorse, but whatever.

Anywho, just a few days ago Belinda discovered that the house we had recently bought has a Feijoa tree. The Feijoa tree, funnily enough, produces Feijoa fruit - otherwise known as the Pineapple Guava. Belinda and I both love the fruit - and have picked about 50 of them these last two days.



It tastes a little bit like a fruit salad, with a strong passionfruit / kiwi flavour. It's also been described as having a pineapple / guava / banana / strawberry taste - but I wouldn't go that far. I took some to work today - and almost noone had tried one before (except the resident New Zealander) - and everyone liked them.

Bell's also been looking into various Feijoa-based recipes. So I can expect a Feijoa based curry, muffins and gratin soon!

I thought it was pretty cool that our first house together has a magical plant which combines our two favourite fruits. Now I've just got to find out where the rare species of Tiger-Penguin is hiding in our backyard (he's probably surviving on feijoas).

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?