Sunday, April 23, 2006

 

Travel Log - Day 7 (Wet Wet Wet)

We decided that the Niagara Falls part of our holiday was going to be the romantic / honeymooney part, so we kicked off Day 7 with breakfast in bed - delivered by a Canadian! While I organised our delightful breakfasts - Bell asked the hotel dude for the closest hockey store to the hotel. It just so happened that there was a store just up the road that was having their huge, yearly sale. Unfortunately, their yearly sale had already been going for over two months, and there was very little left. Bell picked up a pair of skates, and I got some cool hockey gloves that are apparently quite hard to get (from a small company).


Somewhat romantic, this is the view of the waterfall we had from our bed

It was pissing down all day, and the taxis weren't as heavily populated so we ended up walking around a lot. That wouldn't have been too bad at all (I had a good jacket with a hood, beanie, scarf etc) if it wasn't for the hole in my shoe. I had been waiting until Pittsburgh to buy a new pair of shoes - turns out my gamble didn't pay off.

One thing that surprised me about Niagara Falls was how much it resembled an amusement park. On the small strip near our hotel there were about 10 huge statues of various characters (Frankenstein, Dracula, The Hulk, etc) and quite a few questionable museums (Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum, Guinness Records Museums etc). I was going to post a few photos of these stores - until I realised that all the photos we took in Niagara Falls were of a waterfall (you can visit their website however).

After lunch we decided to get up close to the waterfalls, and get a little wetter. Excuse me for the copious amount of water photos that follows this paragraph:


The American Falls and the Bridal Falls (also visible from America)


Another view of the American and Bridal Falls (the Bridal Falls is the tiny block of water on the far right - it really doesn't deserve it's own name!)


One half of the Horseshoe Falls


The other half - all the mist in the middle made it appear to be raining where we were standing


I thought this looked kinda cool - this was when we were right up close to the falls


The closest we got to the edge


I don't think anyone else understood my interest in themed Coke machines


You could go down to behind the fall - see a wall of water!


I thought this was pretty cool - if this trend continues I can only assume that the whole of America will be eroded away one day (lucky we visited when we did!)


Shot from below / beside the falls


Special!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?