Saturday, May 06, 2006

 

Travel Log - Day 8 (New York, New York ... again)

Probably the least interesting day of our honeymoon - I'd probably skip this entry if I were you

Well, after being served breakfast by an authentic Canadian (the curtains matched the drapes) we decided on a less adventurous breakfast for day 2 in Canada. The Starbucks in the hotel lobby provided us all of the Chocolate-Chip Cookies and Almond Biscotti we required for a balanced breakfast.

We were actually getting much better at packing our bags by this point - so we were waiting for our New York train for a fair while. While we were waiting, we saw the first few flakes of snow that we had ever seen. Sure - it was no blizzard - but it was exciting to us.

Snow
A licky boom boom down

Snow
More of the white stuff - the most we had seen at this point of the trip

The train ride back to New York was much more boring this time - but did offer a brief distraction. I had mentioned that the trip up to Canada involved a scary "border check". Turns out the Canadians are a lot more relaxed when it comes to these things. Our American border-check assistant was a little more thorough with questions such as "Which bags are yours?", "Why do you need so much luggage?", "Why are you going to the U.S.?". Much more nerve-racking than the simple "fill in this form" from the way up. He seemed to calm down when I said we were on our honeymoon - and had picked up many souvenirs. The chick that was sitting opposite us was not so lucky. She was asleep when border-check begun - so her answers weren't as confident at the beginning of the conversation. It went something like this:


Scary Border-Check Guy: Are you a Canadian resident?

Sleepy Canadian Chick: Yes.

SBCG: How long are you going to be in the U.S.?

SCC: 4 days.

SBCG: Can I see your passport again?

[passport is um'd and ah'd about for a while]

SBCG: Why are you traveling to the U.S.?

SCC: I have a funeral to attend.

SBCG: Who's funeral?

SCC: My grandfather's.

SBCG: What was the cause of death?

SCC: [pause followed by mumbled answer]

(I was trying not to make it obvious I was listening)

SBCG: We're going to need to interview you in the back carriage.

Please come with us.



After what seemed like about a half-hour of interrogation our Canadian friend resumed her seat. She seemed a little shaken up (definitely more awake). I, once again, said a silent thank you that our "interrogation" was tame, and didn't involve in-depth questions of my specific plans for our honeymoon (I got enough of those questions from Bell's father).

Anyway - we finally made it back to New York, and checked into the worst hotel of the trip. More expensive than our initial New York hotel, The Gershwin was an absolute dive. I didn't have a tape measure handy, but I think our whole hotel room could have fit in our bed from the Sheraton room. The big selling point was how much "art" was on display at the hotel - as well as the interesting guests (their website boasts "We attract opposites. We welcome all kinds of human flora and fauna. Snappy dressers tingle our g-spot, but we open doors to shabby neo-romantic Ostro-Goths as well."). I would have traded both of them in for a room that we didn't have trouble fitting our bags in.

The crappy room at The Gershwin did piss us off a bit, but thankfully we were only there for two days - and we didn't spend much of that time in our room. I guess we'll never be a pair of neo-romantic Ostro-Goths :(

New Toys
As there are only two photos for this day - I thought I'd post a pic of some of the toys that were bought earlier in the trip

Comments:
Yeah - Beaker's cool!

His description on Amazon is pretty funny too (not my doll - but a similar one):

* The Beaker 18-inch Plush doll is a must for any fan of The Muppets.
* Perfect for the collector and a great gift to brighten one's day.
* 'Meep!
* Meep!
* Meep!'

 

I'm pretty sure he doesn't read my blog (and definately not the old comments) - so I think I'm ok to say this.

There's a guy at my old work that looks a lot like Beaker. Same eyes and thin head. Occasionally another guy I work with would "Meep!" at me when I was talking to him - made it difficult to not start laughing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?