Wednesday, September 28, 2005

 

I'm a multi-thousandaire

I was about to go to bed at a reasonable hour last night - and I noticed that "The Up-late Game Show" was on TV. For those that don't know, The Up-late Game Show is a late night game show (fancy that) hosted by Simon "Hotdogs" Deering from Australia's Big Brother 5. On the show contestants call a 50c telephone number to solve puzzles for prize money. Puzzles such as this - how many triangles?

Triangle Puzzle
(Answer: 118)

Once a contestant wins the basic puzzle (which is worth around $100 to $300), they get a chance at the "Bonus Board". The bonus board is a series of eight left or right questions, if you get them all right you win a bonus amount (anything over $1,500). They keep the same pattern until someone wins the board - so if you watch a few people stuff it up - you already know most of the answer. Here's an example (starting from bottom to top):

Bonus Board

Anywho - as I was watching the show, someone got the last question of the bonus board incorrect - thus telling the viewers the complete correct path (as shown above).

I don't mind trying to win stuff - so I called through before they showed the next game, hoping that I'd be quick enough to get chosen - even though I hadn't worked out the puzzle yet. Luckily, the puzzle was quite easy and quick enough to solve pretty much straight away. Here was my question:

Shape Puzzle
(Answer: 14)

Luckily, I was the first person to be chosen in the queue and scored $200 for answering the first question. The bonus board had been going for a little while - so I scored $2,000 from that. Long story - long, I've got a cheque for $2,200 in the mail - yay!

While most of it will be going to house / wedding / honeymoon expenses (such as a fridge), my girlfriend suggested I might just have to find some money for a gift for myself.

Comments:
lucky duck, congratulations! man, i've always wanted to be a contestant on a game show. if it ever happens i think it'll be either 'jeopardy' or 'big brother'. :)

 

Thanks - I've always watched game shows and wanted to be on them as well. Jeopardy would have been a good one (we only had Jeopardy here for a little while) - but Big Brother's not for me. And I'm sure that I'm not for Big Brother either!

Other than that - some crazy Japanese game show would be awesome!

 

Takeshi's Castle looks crazy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?